She died of third degree burns. The fire happened in the dead of night. When she came to, the fire has already spread throughout the house. She was trapped inside her room but still couldn’t get out because of the grills on the windows. She was already severely burned when she was finally retrieved.
Worse, the nearest tertiary hospital is in Bayombong, Nueva Viscaya, some 3-4 hours away from where she was. I mentioned this dilemma faced by patients needing emergency care in a previous post, Emergency Care Nightmare.
For us in the organization, the event presents programmatic lessons as we train communities and families to become prepared and resilient to disasters. The event particularly touches on disaster proofing homes. Yes, window grills keep us safe and secure inside but what happens when you need to get out and the windows are the only way out? Perhaps, a section of the grills should be designed to open. And the like. Hello, monitors of the National Building Code.