ROAD provides a free access to a subset of the ISSN Register (1,8 millions of bibliographic records, available on subscription, see http://www.issn.org/en/understanding-the-issn/the-issn-international-register/).
ROAD covers different types of online scholarly resources:
- conferences proceedings
- academic repositories
- monographic series
- scholarly blogs (since the end of 2014)
- Applied sciences, technology
- Arts and humanities
- Information, media, libraries
- Medical sciences
- Pure sciences and mathematics
- Social sciences, economics, politics
ROAD records are also downloadable as a MARC XML dump and are available as RDF triples.
ROAD serves four major purposes :
- to provide a single access point to different types of online scholarly resources published worldwide and freely available,
- to provide information about the quality and prominence of OA resources, or at least the criteria they meet, by indicating by what services or journal indicators they are covered,
- as such, and once the coverage of ROAD is developed, to give an overview of the Open Access scholarly production worldwide (for statistics purposes for instance),
- to demonstrate new ways of using the ISSN for compiling information from various sources.